Web account is suspended. Don’t know case and PIN

If you don’t know your FMEP case number and PIN you will need to contact your FMEP client office and ask to have your web account re-activated.

Don’t try to create a new web account with a different email address, as you won’t be able to add your FMEP case to that web account. Your FMEP case can only be linked to one email address at a time, and it is currently linked to your suspended web account.