Special or Extraordinary Expenses

Special or extraordinary expenses sometimes called Section 7 expenses are amounts due for a child under a maintenance order or agreement in addition to ongoing child support.

We may be able to collect special or extraordinary expenses if they are clearly set out in the order or agreement. If the recipient confirms the child’s expenses are due, we will review the maintenance order or agreement to determine if FMEP can collect the expenses.

FMEP can collect:

  • expenses with an exact dollar amount (e.g. $250 per month)
  • receipt-based expenses where the amount due will vary

How FMEP collects expenses for an exact dollar amount

If the amount to be paid is set out in the order, we will add the amount owing to any other scheduled due amounts owing under the maintenance order or agreement.

How FMEP collects receipt-based expenses

The recipient is required to provide us with a copy of the receipt. We forward a copy to the payor, requesting payment within 30 days of the receipt being processed.

How the recipient claims receipt-based expenses

  1. Download the Special Expenses form (PDF, 117KB).
  2. Read instructions on page 2.
  3. Complete and mail the form with copies of the receipts.