Late or Missed Payments

We know the payor may never fall behind in his or her maintenance payments but if this happens there are consequences under BC law. FMEP can:

If the payor does fall behind, here are some options:

Voluntary Payment Arrangement

A voluntary payment arrangement is a plan developed between the payor and FMEP where the payor agrees to pay the arrears in addition to making ongoing maintenance payments.

To set up a voluntary payment arrangement, the payor needs to:

  1. Complete an Income & Expense Form with a Payment Proposal Form (PDF, 145KB)
  2. Attach supporting financial documents.
  3. Mail or fax the forms to the FMEP client office.

The Enforcement Officer assigned to the case will review the payor’s payment proposal and let the payor know if it’s acceptable.

Changing a Court Order

FMEP doesn’t have the authority to cancel or change a maintenance order or agreement. However there are a number of resources in BC to help. Find out more

Interest & Default Fees

Under BC law we can charge interest and default fees on late or missed payments. Find out more

Enforcement Actions

FMEP can take various actions if payments are not made.

Learn More