Late or Missed Payments
We know the payor may never fall behind in his or her maintenance payments but if this happens there are consequences under BC law. FMEP can:
- charge interest and default fees on late or missed payments
- report the payor to a credit reporting agency
- take enforcement action to collect maintenance
If the payor does fall behind, here are some options:
- contact us about a Voluntary Payment Arrangement
- consider changing the maintenance order agreement
Voluntary Payment Arrangement
A voluntary payment arrangement is a plan developed between the payor and FMEP where the payor agrees to pay the arrears in addition to making ongoing maintenance payments.
To set up a voluntary payment arrangement, the payor needs to:
- Complete an Income & Expense Form with a Payment Proposal Form (PDF, 258 KB)
- Attach supporting financial documents.
- Mail or fax the forms to the FMEP client office.
The Enforcement Officer assigned to the case will review the payor’s payment proposal and let the payor know if it’s acceptable.