Changing a Court Order

FMEP doesn’t have the authority to change a maintenance order or agreement. However there are a number of resources in BC to help families with legal issues.

If either parent believes circumstances have changed since the maintenance order or agreement was made, he or she can work with the other parent to come to a new agreement or file a court application to get a new maintenance order from the court.

Some of the reasons to change the maintenance order or agreement:

  • increase or decrease maintenance payments
  • reduce or cancel maintenance arrears
  • clarify expenses for a child
  • confirm if maintenance is still due for a child over 19
  • work out parenting arrangements

The recipient or payor must let us know if they start any negotiations or legal action to change the maintenance order or agreement. Until a new maintenance order or agreement is filed in court, the existing one is still in effect and FMEP will continue to enforce it. If either parent has concerns about this, he or she should contact us to discuss the matter.

It is important we get a filed copy of the new maintenance order or agreement as soon as possible to ensure our payments records reflect the new amounts due.

Late or Missed Payments

The existing maintenance order or agreement remains in effect until a new one is filed in court.

Learn More