Paying or Receiving Maintenance

Once a case is enrolled in FMEP the payor is required to send all payments to us, rather than directly to the recipient. This ensures we keep accurate and up-to-date payment records. We record the payments as being made and then forward them on to the recipient, usually the same day.

We encourage the payor to send payments to us electronically and the recipient to receive payments by direct deposit. These are the fastest, most secure ways for payments to be made and disbursed.

If payments are late or missed, interest and defaultĀ fees can be charged.

We can also take various enforcement actions against the payor to collect the maintenance.

Enforcement Actions

FMEP can take various actions against the payor to collect the maintenance if payments are not made.

Find Out More

Payor living outside BC?

We have agreements with all Canadian provinces, the US and several other countries who can take action on our behalf.

Learn More

Need to increase or decrease maintenance?

Children over 19

Maintenance can continue past age 19 if the child remains dependent on the recipient.

Learn More

Special or Extraordinary Expenses

We can collect a child’s expenses in addition to child support. ReadĀ more