Withdrawing from the Program

To withdraw from the program, the person who enrolled the maintenance order or agreement with FMEP needs to send a request in writing.

If it was the recipient who enrolled, the recipient can withdraw at any time. If it was the payor who enrolled, the payor cannot withdraw unless the recipient also agrees to withdraw from the program.

Before sending in a withdrawal request the recipient should consider that any interest owing on unpaid maintenance is lost. If the recipient decides at a later date to enrol again with FMEP, any interest currently owing will not be included in the arrears and cannot be collected.

Even if the recipient withdraws, if the payor owes default fees to the provincial government the case will remain open until those fees are paid.

We can also withdraw a recipient, if the recipient:

  • doesn’t respond to our requests for information
  • continues to accept direct payment from the payor without notifying us
  • takes enforcement action against the payor on his or her own without approval from FMEP